No Script Javascript is disabled. Please enable it for better working experience.
Advertisement
Sunday 16 June, 2024
Advertisement

Shiv Mistry, Cambridge University student died fromPina Colada cocktail

BY Anas Shah Sep 08, 2022. 11:28 am UPDATED: Sep 08, 2022. 11:28 am

Advertisement

A gifted kid who had recently been offered a spot at Cambridge University passed away after taking a drink of a Pina Colada while on vacation in the Costa del Sol, an inquest was told.

When Shiv Mistry, 18, was offered a drink of the cocktail while out with friends in Fuengirola, Spain, he declined since he had a dairy allergy.

He agreed because he didn’t know the pineapple drink had been created by a bartender using cow’s milk cream rather than coconut cream.

Shiv, who was about to begin his medical degree, quickly went into anaphylactic shock and passed out.

The Buckinghamshire coroner was told that he passed away despite the efforts of his friends to save him.

Shiv’s parents, who are from Amersham, Bucks, attended the inquest in Beaconsfield and heard about how his classmates battled valiantly to save their son.

“We, Shiv’s parents, do not cast any blame on Shiv’s friends who were incredibly brave and did all possible to save his life and should be commended throughout the hearing, if appropriate,” the statement from the parents, which was read by assistant coroner Ian Wade QC, added.

Shiv was out with friends in a local pub in Fuengirola, Spain, near their apartment.

‘He had a sip of Pina Colada and it transpired that the coconut cream was replaced with cream.

Advertisement

‘He wasn’t drinking as such – he had taken a sip of a friend’s drink and passed it on to others.

‘He recognised immediately that he had consumed something with milk and he made his way back to the apartment. He was sweaty, hyperventilating and took cetirizine, a powerful antihistamine.

‘He went to the bathroom to vomit. He was weak and dazed and requested a friend to call the emergency services.

‘He then requested an EpiPen and an inhaler. His other friends arrived and one left to guide emergency services to the room.’

‘They said to apply a second EpiPen. Emergency services arrived and they used a defibrillator.’

Each gasp was spaced farther apart until his respiration came to an end, said Mr. Wade. After 20 minutes of CPR, someone called his parents on WhatsApp to inform them of the incident.

The kid was flown by air ambulance to the Costa Del Sol Hospital in Marbella, Spain, where he was immediately admitted to intensive care, according to the inquest.

On July 8, despite the greatest efforts of the medical professionals, he was declared brain stem dead.

Advertisement

Anaphylactic shock was identified as the cause of death by the Spanish medical staff.

A number of medical records were also read out by the coroner, demonstrating that Shiv was aware of his sensitivity to cow’s milk and had taken precautions to keep it under control throughout his life.

Shiv was a man or boy who realised he had to take care of himself and did so because he had a serious condition, the coroner stated in concluding the inquiry.

‘He was invited to take a sip of Pina Colada, a drink which should not have cow’s milk in it. Unbeknownst to Shiv, it was inappropriately made with cow’s milk.

‘He realised he was in peril and he was given EpiPens. He was given immediate attention by friends who raised the alarm.

‘Police attended relatively quickly and they knew what they were doing. He was given CPR and rushed to Costa Del Sol Hospital, Marbella, but he could not be revived.

‘He passed away after he was effectively brain stem dead.

‘The anaphylactic shock was in reaction to the unexpected cow’s milk in the otherwise completely safe Pina Colada. It was unexpected and unintended after trying what should have been an otherwise harmless drink.’

The coroner declared an accident as the cause of death to conclude the inquest.

Judgish Mistry, Shiv’s father, said after the hearing: ‘There should be more education given to this age group, as they are inexperienced and going out on their own.

Advertisement

‘Shiv was lucky, he had friends who were medically aware and could apply CPR – however, there will be young people going on holiday with friends with no medical knowledge at all.

‘Schools should give medical training to anyone who has a friend that suffers from a life-threatening allergy. What we’re trying to do is make more people aware that this can happen, especially amongst this age group who just want to be like their friends.

‘Shiv was extremely talented. He was going to study medicine and we received a letter from Clare College at Cambridge University with their condolences.

‘I think his entire school year group turned up at the funeral. Shiv was popular at school because he would help anyone who needed it. He was selfless. We have letters from all the people who he helped in his school.’

After the terrible death of the adolescent in July, the family donated more than £11,000 to Anaphylaxis UK and helped to fund the creation of an app for allergy sufferers, which they hope will become standard procedure when sufferers are identified.

The text on Kalpesh Mistry’s gofundme website reads: “My Nephew, Shiv, had just turned 18.” In order to celebrate clearing his examinations and get ready to start studying medicine at Claire College at Cambridge University later this year, he was in Spain with his buddies.

‘Whilst holidaying in Spain, he sadly died, Shiv had an allergic reaction and went into anaphylactic shock. His friends, medics and police tried to revive him, but it was not possible.

‘Shiv has lived with a dairy allergy since he was a little boy. As part of a request from the family, we would like to make donations in the memory of Shiv. Donations will be spilt some going to Anaphylaxis UK and to other worthwhile endeavours which will also aid people that have allergies and anaphylaxis by proactively using mobile and other technology.’

Advertisement
Advertisement
More News on

Related Articles

Morgan Metzer beaten, bound, raped and nearly choked to death
US

Morgan Metzer beaten, bound, raped and nearly choked to death

A mother of two who was assaulted, restrained, sexually assaulted, and on...

James Everett du Bois, US Army vet swept out to sea
US

James Everett du Bois, US Army vet swept out to sea

Pictured is a US army veteran who was washed out to sea...

Who is Ava Louise? OnlyFans model who flashed portal
World

Who is Ava Louise? OnlyFans model who flashed portal

The annoying OnlyFans model claims that she lifted her top because she...

Madison Bergmann arrested for ‘making out’ with 5th-grader
US

Madison Bergmann arrested for ‘making out’ with 5th-grader

Less than three months before her wedding, a 24-year-old elementary school teacher...

Sgt. Colin Arslanbas killed in training accident
US

Sgt. Colin Arslanbas killed in training accident

Military authorities have revealed the identify of the Marine from North Carolina...

Who was Courtney Fannon? What was her cause of death
US

Who was Courtney Fannon? What was her cause of death

In her tight-knit New York community, COURTNEY Fannon was regarded as an...

Advertisement

Latest News

Morgan Metzer beaten, bound, raped and nearly choked to death
US

Morgan Metzer beaten, bound, raped and nearly choked to death

A mother of two who was assaulted, restrained, sexually assaulted, and on...

James Everett du Bois, US Army vet swept out to sea
US

James Everett du Bois, US Army vet swept out to sea

Pictured is a US army veteran who was washed out to sea...

Rose-Marie Dead at 68, Cause of Death
Entertainment

Rose-Marie Dead at 68, Cause of Death

HISTORICAL Rose-Marie, an Irish singer, tragically her away unexpectedly in Blackpool, shocking...

Who is Ava Louise? OnlyFans model who flashed portal
World

Who is Ava Louise? OnlyFans model who flashed portal

The annoying OnlyFans model claims that she lifted her top because she...

Advertisement