A young Wisconsin woman perished in a home fire that broke out hours before her wedding ceremony.
Paige Ruddy died of a brain hemorrhage on Wednesday after suffering smoke inhalation after her Reedsburg home caught fire on the day of her wedding to Logan Mitchell-Carter on Tuesday, according to NBC 15.
According to a GoFundMe page, the Ruddy family “went to sleep excited” for the wonderful event.
“Instead, they were woken by police to be informed that there was a fire. Despite the amazing efforts of those who love her, the Reedsburg police and firefighters, EMTs, med flight, and the amazing staff at UW hospital over two horrible days, Paige could not be saved,” according to the fundraiser.
“She passed surrounded by her family and friends who took up a large waiting room in the hospital,” it adds.
Ruddy and Mitchell-Carter exchanged vows in a secret ceremony Monday night, ahead of a small wedding with close relatives the next day.
Mitchell-Carter and his grandparents shared the residence on West Second Street with the couple.
Ruddy’s aunt stated that the family did not believe there were any functional smoke detectors in the home held by her beau’s grandparents.
“She was just a precious human. There was nothing about her that you couldn’t like,” the aunt, indentified as Holly, told NBC 15. “She was this presence you never knew you needed in your life, but always did.”